Getting Back to Normal??

I returned to work last Wednesday. Hurricane Florence didn't do the amount of damage to work or home that was feared. But the inland flooding has been horrible. For many locals, it has stranded them either near work or in a shelter. Many of the roads to get in or out of town are closed. We feel a little trapped here on this man-made island.

I worked 3 days last week and boy it was rough. Not only trying to catch up on work, but answering phone call after call asking if work was open yet and how the area managed. One phone call did make me chuckle. In fact, I couldn't help but think that it was some sort of prank. An older man called to see if I knew of anyone who would want to "bug out" of our area and buy his house in a small town in Alabama. He went on and on about how he thought I should know  someone and that his property was for sale by owner. To get him to end the conversation and get off of my phone, I took his phone number and the name of the town his property is in. Fairhope, AL. South of Mobile, AL. Now my mother grew up in Mobile, so I know this area. It is no safer than here in Myrtle Beach! I really think it was a gag, a prank.

But seriously, I really feel that Joe and I dodged a bullet. Back before my surgeries we were house hunting. All of the properties we looked at are now currently flooded or cut off from the rest of the world by flooding. My favorite house, which I was calling the Daisy house because it is on Daisy Road, is completely cut off. Most of Daisy Road is closed due to flooding. Thank God we didn't buy a house here! In fact, we are now talking about just continuing to rent the single-wide trailer we are in now until my health crisis is subsided, then we will revisit our future plans.

I finally got my post surgical appointment rescheduled for next week. It was supposed to be the Tuesday before the hurricane hit, but it was cancelled. Then the cancer center was closed because of the flooding in Wilmington (that's where I am being treated.) So hopefully all of the flooding will have receded. Even the highway 17 going to Wilmington has been closed in parts. At my appointment I should find out how far this cancer has spread.

Yesterday my daughter, Rachael, came over to help me with chores. I still can't do any lifting, pushing, pulling or carrying. The main chore was to clean out the refrigerator. I store all food items in glass mason jars. So by cleaning the fridge out, I was able to reclaim....sigh.....14 jars of various sizes. The lids I tossed. Rachael also went to the grocery store with me to help. I can't push a shopping cart or bend over so I scooted around and she was my muscle. It's been 4 weeks since my second surgery. I still get tired so easily.

But I am back to making our meals, even if it is as simple as grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. I am glad to be able to get back into the kitchen. I need help with lifting pots and pans, but I can wash flatware and cut up vegetables.

So, that's about it for now. I dream of camping. My thoughts are filled with where we will have our next camping trip. But that won't be until later this fall, if not until winter. Right now it's still too hot for even a firepit in our front yard. Plus there is a burn ban for our area.

Peace to you! Oh, I want to be camping!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

A Moment of Confession-NOT homemade Entertaining

Homemade Coleslaw and a Haircut