Recovering

If you hadn't noticed, I am an older woman. In fact, I am over 45....okay, over 50, not by much. But that's all I'm admitting to. Well, that and I am in the throws of perimenopause. Part of that wonderful crap-fest that is womanhood. The curse continues, and it's pissed!

For the past few weeks I have been suffering from very low progesterone levels, causing great discomfort and the expense of heavy flow menstrual pads. The worst started over a week ago after we returned from a trip to Gastonia. So I have been doing A LOT of reading on this stage of my life and WTF I am supposed to do to survive.

There has been terms thrown around that sound more like symptoms of a terminal disease than a normal process of life. But the worst of these is, wait for it.....FLOODING. And it is as bad as it sounds. And for 4 days last week I experienced it. I really don't want to go into details, but it has left me weak, lightheaded and fatigued. I had to call out of work on the 4th day of it as I was scared to drive. While taking my shower that morning I almost blacked out.

Fortunately, the evening before Joe and I stopped by Vitamin Shoppe and I got some natural progesterone cream. The brand I chose was Internal Harmony Progesterone cream. I liked the fact it had measured dosing, doesn't use soy and has numerous other hormone balancing ingredients. It took my body about 48 hours before I started noticing improvement. Now, here I am a week after I bought the cream and I am feeling so much better. I have read both pros and cons for using this kind of cream, but it is working for me and I will continue using it until it doesn't anymore or I find other therapy.

I have also been eating my way to health with iron rich foods like potatoes, spinach, prunes, beef, dark meat turkey, eggs, lentils and dark chocolate. There are other foods that are high in iron, but I am not fond of many of them. I've been drinking lot of filtered water and drinking hot soup.

The old saying, "This too will pass," is the attitude I am working with and I know that on the other side I will emerge victorious over this stage of my life...or I'll die. You know, gophers or grapes. Which is better than puppies and kittens (Z Nation reference);)

Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

A Moment of Confession-NOT homemade Entertaining

Homemade Coleslaw and a Haircut