Monday Dinner-Potato Soup


Last evening I made creamy potato soup with breakfast sausage. It came together nicely and we had plenty left over for this evening. We served it with toasted sourdough bread. It’s odd, sourdough always tastes and smells to me like PlayDough. Yes, I have tasted PlayDough.


In a deep cast iron pan I sautéed crumbled uncured organic breakfast sausage. Then I added 2 tablespoons Irish butter to melt.


I removed most of the sausage once it was cooked and added about a cup organic onion to the pot.

  I cooked until tender, then added 4 organic potatoes that I peeled and cut up into small pieces (about ½ inch cubes). I stirred them for a few minutes then added 1 cup of homemade chicken stock, a cup filtered water, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and a bay leaf.

 I let them simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and keeping an eye on the liquid amount. I had to add about ½ cup water to keep the soup…soupy.




  When the potatoes were cooked through, I took my potato masher and roughly mashed the cooked potatoes while in the pot. I also added back the sausage and 1 cup raw milk, stirring them in well.
  I added salt, black pepper to taste. When we were almost ready to eat, I added ½ cup organic white cheddar cheese.
 I oven toasted several slices of sourdough bread with Irish butter.


I served the potato soup with the sourdough bread. It was delicious!

Don’t have sausage? No worries. Bacon or ham can be substituted.


Recipe:
Creamy Potato Soup w/ Breakfast Sausage:
Using organic ingredients

4-6 russet potatoes, peeled & cut into small cubes
1 pound uncured breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, cut up
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup filtered water, may need a little extra
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 cup milk
½ cup white cheddar cheese
Pink salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, sauté sausage, removing most of the sausage once it has cooked, set in a bowl to use later. In same pot, add butter and onion and cook until onions are soft. Next, add potatoes and continue cooking. After a couple of minutes, add chicken stock, water, garlic powder and bay leaf. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, keeping an eye on the amount of liquid. If it starts to look too thick, add a little more water. After potatoes are cooked through, add sausage and milk to the pot. Continue cooking, stirring often. Add salt and pepper to taste. About 10 minutes before serving, add cheddar cheese and stir until thoroughly combined. Take off heat and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

A Moment of Confession-NOT homemade Entertaining

Homemade Coleslaw and a Haircut