Leaving it on all day

So this morning I braised a big organic roast beef (expensive too at $12.85) and put it in the slow cooker. I don't like leaving small appliances on when I'm not home, but this roast needs to cook all day.

Using my cast iron skillet, I braised the roast in extra virgin olive oil after sprinkling a little black pepper on it. While that was going, to the slow cooker I put in filtered water, dried bay leaves (2), rosemary, sage, marjoram, parsley, garlic powder and pink salt, and turned it on low. I also cut up an onion to add after the meat went in the slow cooker.

After the roast was seared on all sides, I put it in the slow cooker. Looking at the skillet, I decided to scramble two eggs in the same skillet with a little organic butter. You know, steak and eggs. It was a good breakfast as I added a little honey to half a sprouted pita bread.

Although Joe slept through my kitchen ruckus, I don't know how he slept through the smell! When I left for work this morning, the whole house smelled like roast beast.

It didn't look that good when I left and I just noticed that the onion looks a lot like marshmallows floating. I might have added too much water.

But this will serve as at least 4 meals for the two of us, so the upfront cost is worth getting 4 meals out of one cut of meat. For this evening I will steam some rice and cook some green beans. Then I will cut up the leftover meat and freeze the rest. I'll probably make a stew, do stir-fry and maybe a shepherd's pie. I'm trying to only serve beef once a week, so this meat will mean I have at least one meal a week planned out for the next 4 weeks. That helps.

P.S. We thought we had our big project in the final stages at the beginning of the week, but as we revisit certain aspects of it, we realize it has to continue. A bit bummed about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

A Moment of Confession-NOT homemade Entertaining

Homemade Coleslaw and a Haircut