Leftover Coleslaw, what I'll do with it



So I made coleslaw several days ago and now I’m getting are tired of it. Can’t really freeze it and I don’t have farm animals to enjoy it. What to do?

Stir-fry to the rescue! Yes, I simply place the leftover coleslaw in a strainer to drain. While draining, I go ahead and fry some uncured bacon cut into small pieces and cook rice.

Typically, I rinse the rice before soaking the it in filtered water and a teaspoon of white vinegar for at least on hour.  After soaking, I drain and rinse again. Then I use a rice cooker to cook the rice. So for today, as soon as I get home I will start soaking the rice.

While the rice is cooking and the bacon pieces are frying on our cast iron skillet, I cut up half a green bell pepper and a zucchini into bite size pieces. I have some left over chicken I pulled from the freezer to add to the dish.

Now for the fun part. After the bacon has cooked through, I drain the bacon fat into a mason jar. To the bacon in the skillet I add the bell peppers and the thoroughly drained coleslaw, stirring. Remember, the coleslaw already has cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic powder and spices.

Once the cabbage starts to wilt, I’ll add the zucchini and chicken. At this point I’ll add about a teaspoon of oyster sauce. While that heats through, I’ll scramble two eggs in a small bowl to add to the rice later.

When the mixture is hot, I’ll cover and take the skillet off of the heat.
In another 12 inch cast iron pan I’ll put half of the bacon fat and about 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil/fat is hot I will add the rice and stir-fry for a few minutes, then scrape the rice to the sides of the pan creating a well to cook the eggs. I’ll add a little more bacon fat and the eggs. 

Letting the eggs cook, stirring them around just in the egg part at first, then incorporate the rice, stirring constantly. This is when I add amino acids, 5 drops at a time. Stir, taste and add more amino acids. Normally I will also add black pepper now, but since the coleslaw already has it, I probably won’t need it.

Once the rice/egg mixture is cooked, I’ll do one of two things. If I want to have stir-fry bowls, I’ll combine the vegetable/bacon/chicken mixture into the rice and stir until my arm cramps.. or I’ll leave them separate and serve on a plate. Either way, it is delicious!

Here is the list of ingredients I will be using:

-1/4 cup uncooked rice per person
-4-8oz. uncured bacon
-2 cups leftover homemade coleslaw, drained
-Half of a green bell pepper, cut up
-Leftover chicken, cut up
-1 zucchini, cut into bit size pieces
-2 eggs, scrambled in a small bowl
-1 teaspoon oyster sauce
-Amino Acids, to taste
-1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-Pink salt and black pepper to taste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

A Moment of Confession-NOT homemade Entertaining

Homemade Coleslaw and a Haircut